4.11.12

"Wanting to Die" (Anne Sexton)




Since you ask, most days I cannot remember.
I walk in my clothing, unmarked by that voyage.
Then the almost unnameable lust returns.

Even then I have nothing against life.
I know well the grass blades you mention,
the furniture you have placed under the sun.

But suicides have a special language.
Like carpenters they want to know which tools.
They never ask why build.

Twice I have so simply declared myself,
have possessed the enemy, eaten the enemy,
have taken on his craft, his magic.

In this way, heavy and thoughtful,
warmer than oil or water,
I have rested, drooling at the mouth-hole.

I did not think of my body at needle point.
Even the cornea and the leftover urine were gone.
Suicides have already betrayed the body.

Still-born, they don't always die,
but dazzled, they can't forget a drug so sweet
that even children would look on and smile.

To thrust all that life under your tongue!--
that, all by itself, becomes a passion.
Death's a sad Bone; bruised, you'd say,

and yet she waits for me, year after year,
to so delicately undo an old wound,
to empty my breath from its bad prison.

Balanced there, suicides sometimes meet,
raging at the fruit, a pumped-up moon,
leaving the bread they mistook for a kiss,

leaving the page of the book carelessly open,
something unsaid, the phone off the hook
and the love, whatever it was, an infection.


"Querendo Morrer" (trad. Leonardo Marona)

Se quer saber, a maioria dos dias não me lembro.
Ando na minha beca, desmarcada por essa viagem.
Então a quase inominável luxúria retorna.

Mesmo agora não tenho nada contra a vida.
Conheço as lâminas de erva que você mencionou,
a mobília que você posicionou debaixo do sol.

Mas suicídios têm uma língua especial.
Como carpinteiros, querem saber que ferramentas.
Eles nunca perguntam por que construir.

Duas vezes eu tão simplesmente me declarei,
havia subjugado o inimigo, engolido o inimigo,
arranquei dele sua arte, sua mágica.

E desse jeito, pesada e pensativa,
mais quente que óleo ou água,
eu descansei, escorri pelo buraco da boca.

Não pensei no meu corpo a ponto de agulha.
Mesmo a córnea e a urina dispensada se foram.
Os suicídios acabaram de trair o corpo.

Natimortos, nem sempre morrem,
mas, cegos, não podem esquecer droga tão doce
que mesmo crianças olhariam com sorrisos.

Confiar toda essa vida debaixo da língua!—
que, por si própria, torna-se paixão.
A morte é um osso triste; partido, você diria,

ainda assim ela espera por mim, ano a ano,
em desfazer tão delicado e velhas chagas,
para me tirar o fôlego de sua prisão ruim.

Equilibrados ali, suicídios às vezes se cruzam,
com raiva das frutas, uma lua estourada,
deixando o pão confundido com um beijo,

deixando a página do livro aberto sem cuidado,
alguma coisa não dita, o telefone fora do gancho
e o amor, seja lá o que tenha sido, uma infecção.

Nenhum comentário: